Lifts are a bit like cars, the better the finishes and faster it goes, the more it costs!
So how much does a home lift cost, really?
Due to legislative requirements in public places, Commercial lifts are generally more expensive than Home lifts.
This is a two part guide on pricing of new lifts for both Home and Commercial purposes.
Home lifts are lifts for single residences only with no shared common areas with another dwelling.
These lifts do not require fire rated sliding doors or large lift cabins. They can have very shallow pits (recess in the floor at the bottom level), and can fit under most normal ceilings (low headrooms).
Home lifts generally travel slower than commercial lifts.
The starting point for a two level home lift with swing doors and basic finishes can be around $35,000 plus GST.
A top quality swing door lift can start at around $41,000 Plus GST.
The issues to consider when determining price are:
1. Do I want a quick lift? Cheap lifts are generally quite slow.
Get a guarantee from the supplier how fast your lift will go. Be careful about terms such as “up to 0.25 M/sec” , get an actual speed! Cheap lifts travel at around 0.15 M/sec.
2. Do I need a lift big enough for a wheel chair and a carer?
3. What finishes are included in the price. Some manufacturers include stainless steel as standard.
4. What are the finishes on the doors?
Doors range from plain undercoated steel to stainless steel with glass.
5. What type of controls are used, German, Swedish, Italian or Chinese? Where is the lift manufactured?
Manufacturers in certain locations are notorious for unreliability and difficulty to maintain the products. The cheapest is not always the best value, especially with lifts.
6. GST exemption may apply to a Home Lift but it is essential that the lift has been design registered under AS1735.16 of the Lift Code and the user is clearly disabled with documentary proof.
7. If speed is an issue: Home lifts with commercial style sliding doors can travel more quickly. This will add around $7,000 to $9,000 to the price.
8. If you want a large lift or serious speed, then commercial lifts can be installed into a home project but the starting price will be around $10,000 more than a quality home lift.
After all is considered it is a good idea to visit at least 3 show rooms.
This way you can get a feel for the product, quality, and ensure the suppliers can provide you with what you need.
See the second part here.
After all is considered it is a good idea to visit at least 3 show rooms. This way you can get a feel for the product, quality, and ensure the suppliers can provide you with what you need.
Published: August 3, 2015